Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mani Gone Wild... Mani Does Dallas...and other inappropriate blog titles...

Warning - This blog entry is dedicated solely to The Manicure. Males might have a hard time relating, unless they have ever gotten a bad haircut....

-- BEGIN SCENE --

My roommate flew to Cleveland yesterday - she is in a wedding this Saturday - so that leaves me at our apartment ... alone... for several days.

Last night, I passed the evening with a long happy hour with some friends - 2 Bud Lights and a yager bomb and I was a happy little lamb.

Tonight, I decided to treat myself to a manicure / pedicure. Those who know me well can tell you I rarely get manicures. First of all, I'm a chronic nail-biter, so there usually isn't anything on my hands to manicure. But many, many weeks ago, I decided to stop biting my nails. I was going to let them grow out. And I did. And they grew, and grew, and grew. So long that they were getting in my way when I typed.

So before going to visit my boo this weekend, I thought, "I'll get my nails shaped and they'll look so good!" The place that I've been going to does a great job with pedicures.. so why should I expect less from my mani?

So I get there around 6:45 or so... Pick out my pedi color - this always takes me forever. It's like picking a mate. I'm stuck with this color for the next 2.. 3.. however many weeks. That spells c-o-m-m-i-t-m-e-n-t. They rub my feet, paint my toes, yada yada. Then it's time for my mani. I tell her I want more of a square-shaped nail... I hate the full on round shape on my hands... it is simply not flattering when you have skinny fingers like me (the only part of me that I can genuinely call skinny..)

So she starts filing away. And I notice my left pinky nail is not filed evenly across. It's filed like a steep hill... one that you stalled out on the first time you drove a stick. I ignore it and think to myself, "I can fix that when I get home." She proceeds to file the other nails, and slaps a clear coat on them. Then I'm off to the nail dryer for 6 minutes.

Once at the nail dryer, I realize I have smudged the polish on my left thumbnail. (Please feel free to stop reading if you are yawning.) Again, I think to myself, "I can fix that when I get home." My other nails, minus the left pinky/steep hill, look good, so I'm pleased.

When I get in my car, just after 8 p.m., I realize all my nails are just filed weird. Not smooth, some with really sharp edges on the corner and that just means they will snag everything they touch. I proceed home and think, "I ..... can .... fix that..."

So here I sit at 9:28 p.m., in my uber quiet apartment, with freshly painted nails - this time from myself.. As I got home, and realized my nails were filed so poorly that I'd have to basically file them all off and start over. So the growing process begins again. Dateforthemoment - Don't worry, I have enough nails for some back scratching. But I wish you could have seen my nails pre-poor filing job.

The one thing I have to look forward to tonight (now that I've spent my evening redoing the mani that I paid good money for) is The Hills.... My new favorite obsession on MTV. If you haven't seen it, I recommend at least watching one episode - 10/9 CST. Let me know what you think.

-- END SCENE --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home