Sunday, June 11, 2006

Nuclear runoff makes for warm swimming water..

I spent this weekend with my roommate and friends at Lake Anna... I don't know the specifics, but this lake has something to do with the nuclear facility located nearby -- the water is always warm (even at 4 a.m.) and the fish have 3 eyes. Just kidding about that last part.

Anyhow, Rita, Denise and I got to the lake Friday night. Our friend Kat invited us as her parents rented a 6-bedroom house for a week...so we had Mom & Pop, Kat, two brothers, sister-in-law, James & Killian (dogs), and lots of girls. We started the night by making smores outside by the firepit, followed by one of our traditional game nights. We played the highly competitive game of "Wise and Otherwise." The jist -- there are cards with ancient sayings on them. Someone reads the first part, and then everyone else has to fill in the phrase. The goal is to trick everyone else into thinking your phrase is actually the right one. This game is bizarre and I officially suck at it. Evidenced by me filling in a Swahili saying "When a squirrel is pulled from the water..."

I wrote, "An angel gets its wings."

Everyone got a good laugh out of that one, and referenced it while talking to me for the rest of the trip. (I did make the statement that I wanted to make people laugh, not to win. Done.) Around 4 a.m., as previously mentioned, the water was very warm so we decided to go swimming. It was pretty dark - not a ton of lights around the lake. Eventually, the air was so cold above the water that we decided it was time for bed.

Woke up Saturday a.m., it was freezing in the room that Nise, Rita & I were sharing. After a quick shower (wanted to at least wash my hair from swimming the night before) we all headed down to the water. Soon came my first (of many) adventure(s) on a jet-ski -- I was the passenger with Kat, who I thought was driving very fast. I was holding on to the handles so tight that I got a blister. Then a little later, I took one of the jet skis out with Rita, and eventually by myself. Kat's brother (aka Naked Shaver -- a story for another time) taught me how to do a sweet 180 and I unofficially decided that I will purchase a jetski when I'm older and can afford one.

Lunch and dinner passed, consisting of chicken kabobs and pizza, with margarita drinking and lots of story telling. Then we had game night #2 followed by a round of smores.

We drove back this morning, and made a quick stop at Cracker Barrel (one of my faves). The rest of the day will consist of laundry folding and SATC. Hope you've all had a great weekend as well! :)

Things omitted from this story but not on purpose:
*I accidentally threw Rita off the jet ski at one point and proceed to speed off.
*I am viciously sunburned.
*I will never travel without my white hoodie again.
*Aerobeds are the best invention ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home