Wednesday, March 01, 2006

:: reading can change the world ::

Last night, I found myself slightly lost. Nothing substantially good on tv. Nothing really to do. So I dug into The Tipping Point. One of the books I got for Christmas that I have managed to place next to my bed and not yet open.

Up to page 12 and I dig.

The idea that small acts can be contagious, can cause a dramatic change and all of this happening very quickly. The point at which that change occurs - the tipping point.

Crime dropping significantly in New York - because a small group of people who were in situations that could have been violent and deadly decided to take the higher road and act in a moral way.

Teenagers in New York City wearing Hush Puppies to trendy bars and clubs, being seen by designers like Anna Sui and Calvin Klein who then incorporated the shoes into their runway shows..revitalizing the company who previously sold 30,000 pair a year to over 400,000.

Making small changes in your life can have a huge impact across the globe...whether it's a moral issue or a new fashion trend. Take the idea and exercise it in the future.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

I, too, enjoyed The Tipping Point. But, about two-thirds of the way through, I quit reading it.

I was all, "I got it. It tips."

Good read and a good lesson, nonetheless.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know that we live together and we work approximately .5 miles apart. and we sometimes drive in together, and usually hang out together in the evenings. but, i am begging you to blog about something, anything, even if it's word for word the conversation we had last night. you know i can not leave my desk for more than 30 minutes a day, including bathroom breaks, or the world will fall apart. but i can't stare and my calendar and send invites all day either. my fingers (and mind) are beginning to go numb. blog so i don't go crazy!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home