Saturday, November 12, 2005

I met a real-life Survivor...

It's true.

When: Friday, November 11th, around 11:30 p.m.
Where: Clarendon Ballroom in Arlington, Va.
How: My crazy friend, Alina, began singing to a stranger... who ended up being Ian (see picture). He finished in 3rd place on Survivor Season 10: Palau.

Alina learned that Ian lost "40 pounds on the show and has gained 20 back." He's still skinny and I thought about that today as I ate lunch from Popeyes. But I can imagine being 6'8'' makes it difficult to be anything but thin.

Google tells me Ian was Homecoming King and student body president in college...a very ambitious boy.

Also turns out Ian is younger than me and apparently much richer. I asked him if he got "a sh*tload of money when he finished the show." He simply and confidently replied, "Yes."

This was after he told me he had a house "in LA and .. um..Pennsylvania."

He seemed hesitant about sharing the latter, as if he realized how random it sounded. But when I told him my bf lives in State College, he shared with me that he went to Penn State and asked what the bf's name was.

This made me nervous - insert internal dialogue influenced by tang & tonics: "Why does he want to know Justin's name? Does he think he knows him? Or is he looking to network in the non-profit television market?" I just told Ian where Justin works and the music was so loud that I'm still wondering if he heard me.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am somewhat obsessed with meeting famous people. I don't seek them out - but when I meet them, I add them to my "list." That's another post.

I think Ian is the first "famous" person I have met since living here. Is that safe to say? Does being on reality tv make you famous?

Maybe not - but it does get you a "sh*tload of money."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home