Monday, October 31, 2005

Rosa Parks - A Brave Little Lady

As I drove back to northern Virginia last night, I listened to news talk radio, as I tend to do.. And when the time came for traffic, the deliverer suggested riding the Metro into DC for those paying respects to Rosa Parks, who was lying in honor at the Capitol Rotunda. (Another reason I love living here... amazing history, being able to pay respects to monumental figures - wow!)..

Now, I've known who Rosa Parks was since I was a little girl. And then that Outkast song came out which brought her to the front of everyone's minds and to the top of the charts .. even though she sued the duo for defamation (that's another story)...

But this woman was well-ahead of her time... she saw something bigger than the issue at hand on that bus in 1955.

And it wasn't about the seat ... or the view from the seat ... or the fact that she got there first. By sitting, she took a stand... as a woman and an African American ... ultimately sparking a movement that changed our country... I can't imagine living in a world where people are segregated because of their skin. It really blows my mind and at the same time, breaks my heart.

And now that she's passed, I realize what a brave little lady she was.

1 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Digital Joey said...

I dislike everyone in general. Misanthropy saves you from having to remember "Now do I hate this guy because of his color?" or "I don't like her because she doesn't believe humans grew from a twig of a giant tree in the Dream Forest."

That would save people a lot of extra time...

It's funny, those moments when change happens. It's not where all the lights are, or where everybody's looking.

It's on a bus. In a classroom. Riding to work.

I was talking to a guy I work with (no, he's a freelancer) a little bit ago about the situation of local politics, and the only letters published in the local paper are slamming candidates on social issues, specifically if homosexuals can adopt children.

Always good to see all the other social, national and feduciary problems have been solved and we can argue about gays adopting kids. Or black women riding the bus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home